This is a DRAFT extract of our Privacy Notice, which will be published in full on 25th May 2018, in line with the new Data Protection Laws coming into force. In the meantime, please refer to the document at the bottom of this page 'Privacy Notice 2017'.
The BRIT School is committed to protecting your privacy and being transparent about what we do with it. We are committed to using your personal information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. We will not to do anything with your information you wouldn’t reasonably expect. We will use the information that we collect about you in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR).
The BRIT School for Perfoming Arts & Technology is the data controller for all personal data and sensitive personal data collected, processed and handled.
Whilst the majority of pupil and parent information provides to us is mandatory, some of it is provided on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation, we will inform the data subject whether they are required to provide certain pupil information to us or if they have a choice in this.
As a school, we process the personal data and sensitive personal data or pupils, parents, and employees under the following legal basis:
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller (Article 6, Section 1.e of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679).
- Processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, on the basis of Union or Member State law which shall be proportionate to the aim pursued, respect the essence of the right to data protection and provide for suitable and specific measures to safeguard the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subject; (Article 9, Section 2.g of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679).
Where data is collected for the sale of Box Office tickets, merchandise or other products, the following legal basis for processing personal data applies:
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract; (Article 6, Section 1.b of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679).
This data is used for limited, specific purposes. It is used in a way that is adequate, relevant, and not excessive, and is only kept for as long as is necessary for us to process your order and perform the sales order contract between us.
Where a data subject has registered to receive email notifications and/or promotional information from us, or agreed to take part in a survey the basis of our processing will be subject to consent, which we will ask for and can be withdrawn at any time.
The school also collects data for purposes of direct marking and fundraising. In this scenario, and where no other legal basis for processing is identified, we will seek consent from the data subject before collecting, handling, and sharing personal data.
Why we seek consent
- Where the processing of data is beyond what a data subject would reasonably expect from the school, and is not covered by any identified lawful basis for processing
- If we intend to share the data with other agencies - except those we are legally obligated to do so for pupils and employees. In this case, the ‘other agencies’ will be specified
For all photographic and video footage – we will give the data subject the opportunity to opt-in to each specific category of usage.